6/2/08

Displaced People Eager to Re-Start Their Businesses

South Africa: Displaced People Eager to Re-Start Their Businesses


 

Email This Page

Print This Page

Comment on this article

Visit The Publisher's Site

Luyanda Makapela
Midrand

People from other countries, who have been moved to temporary shelters provided in Noordwyk near Midrand, are eager to be reintegrated back into their communities as they want to continue with their daily businesses.

"As much as the South African government and local organisations have assisted us, I can't wait to be reintegrated back to Thembisa to carry on from where I've left," Zimbabwean Tu Monikwe, 27, who has been living in South Africa since 2000, told BuaNews on Monday.

Ms Monikwe, who was feeding her two daughters, aged seven and four, at the time of BuaNews visit, said although she has lost her ID and her bank card during the attacks, she couldn't wait to start her fruit and vegetable stall.

"I just hope that I can quickly get another ID and my new bank card so that I can start my business as I have to feed my two kids and support my mother and siblings back home," said Ms Monikwe, adding that she did not have any intention of going back to Zimbabwe.

When BuaNews visited the temporary shelters on Monday, displaced people from other countries were doing their laundry while others looked relaxed while basking in the sun with their children.

Metro police was visible in the area while officials from various organisations came to visit at the camp.

Brian Shamanga, 37, from Nairobi in Kenya, who used to make sandals from animal skin to make ends meet said: "Although I value the help that we have received so far, I can't wait to go back to my place as I am tired of relying on hand outs, I need to go back and start my business afresh.

"Although I have lost all the money that I had, with the help of my friends, I will be able to start something else," he told BuaNews.

Lydia Mukudzi, 45, from Matabeleland in Zimbabwe, who worked at a clothing shop said although she wanted to flee back to her country, she said she will re-settle in South Africa again and get back her job.

"I want to go back to my job and I am sure that my employer is more than willing to take me back," said Ms Mukudzi with a chuckle.

Meanwhile, Social Development Minister Zola Skweyiya has met with a group of welfare educators and practitioners and other organisations to discuss how these stakeholders can assist with social services for all victims of the recent attacks on people from other countries.

In a statement released on Monday, welfare organisations proposed that the department meet with these groups to form crisis teams that will see the provision of professional trauma counselling and debriefing services to the displaced families and individuals.

The team will also call on expertise from other African countries which have experienced race or ethnic based violence.

"We welcome the proposals and as I have repeatedly said government cannot work alone in such situations, my department will advance any form of engagement that will ensure a better and secure life for our people and those that have taken refuge in our country," said Minister Skweyiya.

Government spokesperson Themba Maseko on Thursday said that government was in favour of smaller, temporary shelters.

"Every attempt must be made to ensure integration as soon as possible," said Mr Maseko, adding that temporary structures would contribute to the further uprooting of those who have fled the violence.

In the immediate term, the inter-ministerial task team arranged by Cabinet to focus on a solution to the wave of attacks on people from other countries- particularly those from neighbouring countries, and further north in the continent - would be looking at the question of temporary shelters to house the homeless.

This would require the cooperation of national, provincial and local government, he said.

It is estimated that between 35 000 and 40 000 people have so far been displaced, although some of these people are in the process of returning to their home countries.

This is the case for 15 000 Mozambican nationals who are believed to have left the country.

Mr Maseko said government was aware that many of people from other countries who remained in the country were married to South Africans and have South African-born children attending school here.

Therefore it would not be viable for these people to leave the country.

Relevant Links

The question of these camps had been discussed with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, he said.

"The view is that we should not opt for the creation of these refugee camps but prefer to create temporary shelters.

"The view of government is that every attempt must be made to make sure that the foreign nationals are re-integrated into communities as fast as possible," said Mr Maseko at the time.






--
Jean-Louis Kayitenkore
Procurement Consultant
Gsm: +250-08470205
Home: +250-55104140
P.O. Box 3867
Kigali-Rwanda
East Africa
Blog: http://www.cepgl.blogspot.com
Skype ID : Kayisa66

No comments:

Post a Comment