6/28/08

Postcard from Uganda, part 3

Mark Schlachtenhaufen
The Edmond Sun
EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the final installment of a three-part series by Edmond Sun Reporter Mark Schlachtenhaufen, who is traveling with an Edmond missionary team in Uganda.

BUPACHAI, Uganda — It has been a good week in Mbale.

Through the power of the Gospel, many lives have been changed, including those of the missionaries.

As I write, it is Thursday evening and we have just returned from Bupuchai. On Sunday, a new church will be born in this village, which has been radically transformed by the love of God.

Next to Oklahomans, I believe Ugandans are some of the friendliest people on earth. They also are some of the most beautiful, inside and out. We are strangers, but they have treated us like family.

We have learned about their culture, learned about the villagers, learned about our translators and learned about ourselves. When we leave Uganda, a part of ourselves will remain here. I am looking forward to being reunited with my wife, who has supported me in many ways, including prayer.

Several hours ago, I witnessed something marvelous that will remain with me as long as I live. The preacher of the day, Jim Borgstadt, was making his altar call. One by one, two by two, villagers came forward to profess their faith in Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

A rainstorm was approaching. From where I stood, I could see over the new church a rainbow arching up into the sky. As Jim led the new Christians in the "sinner's prayer," a gentle rain began to fall, a refreshing sensation after a long day of hut-to-hut evangelism.

Was the convergence a coincidence? I cannot say. Only God knows for sure.

I believe God has a plan involving Uganda and the First Presbyterian Churches of Edmond and Oklahoma City. God is moving in a mighty way on the continent of Africa and I feel privileged to have been a part of it. I look forward to seeing what else He has in store for Uganda — and for us.





--
Jean-Louis Kayitenkore
Procurement Consultant
Gsm: +250-08470205
Home: +250-55104140
P.O. Box 3867
Kigali-Rwanda
East Africa
Blog: http://www.cepgl.blogspot.com
Skype ID : Kayisa66

No comments:

Post a Comment