8/16/08

TO THE EDITOR: From Tbilisi
10:00 Fri 15 Aug 2008
 

Note: This letter was written by a woman living in Tbilisi sent to a friend of hers in Bulgaria. She has agreed for it to be published in The Sofia Echo.

Dear All,

Sorry about this style of communication, but I am a bit overloaded at the moment, so I write in haste.

The question you may be asking is: What am I doing staying on in Tbilisi when others are leaving or have left?

I am not working, or doing anything remotely great. But I feel that I should be here, as I am able to do small things in my own small way. Also, my girls would be torn to leave their father alone here – and, of course, me, too – so it is not in our plans at present. He is under a lot of stress – so I hope we are supporting him in some way so that he is able to concentrate on his work.

We were dismayed when the Russian attacks started spilling out of South Ossetia into the rest of Georgia. Instead of preparing to leave, the girls and I have been able to spend time preparing boxes to distribute, and I am especially pleased that over the last two days my faithful missionary friends have been able to collect so much furniture and clothing for the most forgotten orphans of Georgia for whom they care so lovingly without any disruption. I was also able to get someone who panicked a place on the evacuation convoy arranged by the German embassy that was leaving in 30 minutes, send on info to people about the situation and possible ways out by road because other friends who are now safe are sending feedback to me.

These are just snippets of many other things that happen during the day, telephone messages that never stop. I can answer these and phone people; our communication system is working quite well.

You don't have to be a hero to make a difference for someone else. Just the bare fact that we are here, I am told, is encouraging to some missionaries who are still serving, and our neighbours (who are curious and watch us all the time from their windows!) and our guards are pleased, too, that we have not left them. After all, we sort of represent the European Union to them. They don't get to dine with the politicians.

Terrible things are happening to helpless civilians. Much, much worse than is getting into the media that you are getting, I imagine. I am not capable of writing about that. Please support the refugees on both sides in any way you can. They have already suffered too much. I have a tough time swallowing all this. It brings back memories of Kosovo, when we were in neighbouring Bulgaria and not able to do anything. I am not one of these people who grow accustomed to it all.

Thank you all so much for thinking and praying about Georgia. Every e-mail message and every call you have made has meant so so much to me. So, thanks for being there.

Those of you concerned about all our household belongings which are in the Black Sea port of Poti (attacked on Friday); we have finally heard that our container is safe in an untouched terminal. But they cannot take it back for us and divert through Turkey because it has officially left the country. Maersk has informed us that it is not undertaking any more shipments, etc. We are concerned because it will not be insured, as this is war.

We really hope that it will find its way to Kigali unscathed, especially since there are so many antique Russian paintings in it – along with all the girls' Montessori homeschooling materials for the next four years!

The girls are being amazing: helpful, calm, enterprising, you name it. This is even on top of just having the whole house packed up and removed, possibly lost, and preparing to move continent. I have discovered Lara (just nine) is a great cook and communications officer and as strong as a horse! Mia is a super-fast efficient organiser and packer. I have not heard a single negative comment or complaint from any of them (as usual – but I thought they could be a bit on the edge by now).

We were woken up by the biggest explosions that we have heard in the early hours of the morning. They got the communications up the mountain near the European Commission delegation offices. We sleep together at night (well, I don't much! I like to stay up and keep a watch on things in the night).

We are still hoping to stay here and leave on August 28 to Kigali, as previously planned. Whatever happens, I am very grateful to have been able to stay on here until now.

Lots of love,
Anna-Marie

PS: Latest news I have: Saakashvili signed European Union proposals for a ceasefire, but the Russians have already rejected it. So Kouchner is going to Moscow tomorrow [August 12]. Russians taken over Gori so have secured path to Tbilsi. Reports that they are marching on Tbilisi tonight. Sarkozy arriving in Tbilisi tomorrow (Tuesday). Maybe Russians will be here to greet him??






--
Jean-Louis Kayitenkore
Procurement Consultant
Gsm: +250-08470205
Home: +250-55104140
P.O. Box 3867
Kigali-Rwanda
East Africa
Blog: http://www.cepgl.blogspot.com
Skype ID : Kayisa66

No comments:

Post a Comment