10/23/09

BlackBerry Watch Coming Soon? Destined to Fail??

 Rumored Image of RIM's "inPulse
SmartWatch" BlackBerry Watch


RIM is reportedly working on a BlackBerry Watch,
possibly called the "inPulse SmartWatch,"
that lets you view new-message alerts
on your wrist so you don't have to reach
into a pocket or bag to remove
and check a smartphone.
But will BlackBerry users actually employ it?
 
By Al Sacco

The first mention of the "BlackBerry Watch"

came last May in a BoyGeniusReport.com (BGR) post

in which writer Michael Bettiol detailed

a recent conversation with Research

In Motion's (RIM) VP of Advanced Accessories,

Antoine Boucher. (I too sat down with Boucher

during the same week at

the company's annual Wireless Enterprise

Symposium (WES), and he had some

interesting details to share

about the company's brand new

HS-500 Bluetooth headset.)

In the BGR post, Bettiol raised the idea

of a Bluetooth BlackBerry watch to Boucher,

and got a non-committal response

that suggested such a product

could potentially be in the works.

A few months later, the BlackBerry-watch-fervor

was sparked anew when additional blogs

picked on the story, but we haven't heard

much on the subject since August.

Today, Kevin Michaluk of CrackBerry.com

posted what he claims is definitive proof

that the BlackBerry watch, thought to be named

the inPulse SmartWatch, is not only

in RIM's product pipeline,

it's "getting announced soon."

I remember reading that original BGR post

and snickering, thinking "Who the hell would

want a watch to display your

BlackBerry message-notifications??

That's just goofy." But if today's CrackBerry

report proves true--and the site has

an impressive track recording of

breaking similar scoops--RIM apparently

sees the market for a BlackBerry watch

differently than I do.

CrackBerry.com polled its readers in August

to gauge interest in a BlackBerry watch,

with 37 percent of the poll's roughly

16,000 respondents saying "Maybe, I'd have

to see it first." Thirty-six percent of respondents

said they would use a BlackBerry watch

and the remaining 27 percent said

they had no interest such a product.

Personally, my mind hasn't changed;

I have no interest in a BlackBerry watch

beyond seeing how it actually works.

Nor can I see many of RIM's traditional

business-customers being

particularly intrigued, so I can only imagine

the product would be aimed at consumers.

So far, the only thing we really know about

the "InPulse SmartWatch" for BlackBerry is

that it displays message notifications,

new chat alerts, RSS feed highlights, etc.

As pointed out on CrackBerry.com, future APIs

for developers could allow for third-party

application notifications to be

displayed on the watch, as well.

And such a product would presumably

connect to your BlackBerry using Bluetooth.

Michaluk also says the inPulse SmartWatch

will be made by "a new BlackBerry-dedicated

accessories company," which suggests

we might see multiple styles

of BlackBerry watch and not

just the one pictured above.

I don't wear a watch regularly,

and I cannot see changing that fact

just for a watch that tells me I have

new messages on my smartphone

and who they're from--my BlackBerry

rarely leaves my grasp anyhow.

Even if I did wear a watch, I don't think

I'd get rid of my existing rig

for a BlackBerry one, unless of course

it offered some truly unique

and/or valuable functionality.

It would also have to be stylish,

and judging from these first pics...

well, it's not exactly stunning.

So unless RIM packs some amazing,

new and as-of-yet unforeseen features

into this badboy, I see this product

going nowhere real fast-like.

(Can you say, Palm Foleo??)



AS

Link here



--
J-L K


 

No comments:

Post a Comment