7/31/08

Traveling artist from Rwanda inspires Crisis Center youths


July 31, 2008

GARY -- A lesson in living and perseverance was given to young adolescents at the Crisis Center's Alternative House on Wednesday by an artist whose own story demonstrates those lessons.

 Growing up in Kigali, Rwanda, Gabriel Dusabe said he first showed his artistic talents using nature as his tools.

"I would mix water and bits of the earth for texture and use sticks and wood to draw," he said.

Stretching out his right arm, the 32-year-old married father said that he'd also draw on his arms.

"If I used a notebook, my parents and teacher told me I was wasting my time drawing," he said.

Surrounded by his artwork of his home and inspirational themes, Dusabe told the audience of pre-teens and teenagers to never give up and always be open to opportunities.

Gabriel is the co-founder of Cards from Africa, which employs and trains orphans to create custom greeting cards that sell nationwide.

"We have many orphans who lost their parents and families to genocide and disease and famine. This gives them a second chance," he said.

Dusabe, along with his wife, Margaret, and 1-year-old son, Hero, visited the Crisis Center to deliver inspiration and hope. The young family is ending a two-week visit to Gary, leaving early today on a continuing Christian-based mission.

Dusabe's wife said they stayed here with a friend while Gabriel worked with young people at a summer camp at Bethel Temple Church of God In Christ, conducting art classes.

Dusabe said that his love of drawing allowed him to escape the horrible realities he faced in Rwanda, including the genocide. At 16, he joined the Rwandese Patriotic Army to fight for justice against genocide and at 19 he began a relationship with God.

"There was a time when I wanted to kill myself and my mother prayed for me. I am here to tell you that prayer works and you can do anything," he said.

 The youth at the Crisis Center spent the day with Dusabe, who is a student at the University of the Nations, which has campuses nationwide, including Hawaii, where the Dusabes live.

One of the teens used artistic expression as part of the session, drawing basketballs and three-point shooters.

"I like to draw and I liked Mr. Gabriel's art," he said.

A 17-year-old Crisis Center client said she wants to be a fashion designer. "I love to draw and Mr. Gabriel's artwork is awesome! I want to be able to do art and draw like him," she said.







--
Jean-Louis Kayitenkore
Procurement Consultant
Gsm: +250-08470205
Home: +250-55104140
P.O. Box 3867
Kigali-Rwanda
East Africa
Blog: http://www.cepgl.blogspot.com
Skype ID : Kayisa66

No comments:

Post a Comment